You are here:Home1/Visit/Chickahominy Riverfront Park
Chickahominy Riverfront Park
Chickahominy Riverfront Park features over 120 campsites, including campsites that accommodate large groups. Several campsites have scenic views of the Chickahominy River and Gordon Creek and some campsites have access to water. Campsites include everything from basic tent sites to full hookup sites for RV’s. There are no cabins available. Campers have access to 2 bathhouses with a slop sink at each bathhouse. There is a limit of 6 people (up to 4 adults) per site and no more than 2 tents. Campsites may be reserved 12 months in advance and on a monthly basis. Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends require a 3-night minimum campsite rental (Friday-Sunday). Fees are based on residency; view our Park Fees for more information. Reservations may be made by calling 757-258-5020 or by walk-in. Payment is due when the reservation is made.
Address: 1350 John Tyler Hwy, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Prior to European settlement, the area around modern-day Williamsburg was settled by the indigenous American tribes of the Powhatan Confederacy. Williamsburg was first settled in 1638 and was originally referred to as Middle Plantation due to its location on the high ground in the middle of the Virginia Peninsula. In 1699, Middle Plantation was renamed Williamsburg in honor of King William III of England.
By the turn of the 20th century, Williamsburg was a quiet country village, and many colonial buildings, while still standing, were in disrepair. The Reverend Dr. D.A.R. Goodwin made it his goal to restore Williamsburg to its colonial spendor, seeking financial help from none other than John D. Rockefeller Jr., the heir to Standard Oil. It was due to the Rockefeller contributions that Williamsburg became what it is today: A living museum, with history preserved and on exhibit every day.